Title Division

245 E. Main St., Suite 106
Ottawa, OH 45875

Phone:  419-523-8729
Fax: 419-523-5284







The Putnam County Title Department processes titles for motor vehicles including automobiles, motorcycles, mobile homes, travel trailers, campers, motor homes, watercraft and boat motors, motor cycles, scooters, and golf courts.  This office is located on the first floor of the Courthouse with business hours from 8:30 to 4:30 Monday thru Friday.

The Title office collects sales tax for the purchase of motor vehicles and issuance fee for processing each document and then disburses these monies to the proper accounts of the State and County.   The County’s portion of the issuance fee revenue and the poundage on the sales tax is deposited in the Title Administration fund which funds the operating budget of the county title office.

The Putnam County Title Department is linked throughout the State of Ohio by an automated title processing system (ATPS) computer network.  This system connects Putnam County to all other counties throughout the state and provides fast efficient issuance of approximately 14,000 titles for county residents annually.

Deputy Clerks in the title office also process applications for Passports during regular business hours each business day.   Applications can be downloaded by going to the Passport Agency Link on this page.


Title Information

Certificate of Title: The Certificate of Title to your automobile is similar to the deed of your real property; take good care of it.  Do not carry your certificate of title on your person or in your car.  Keep it in a safe place.  It is your only proof of ownership.  If you are in doubt concerning the transferring, buying, selling or mortgaging of your vehicle call your clerk of courts for complete information.

Cross County Titling: Prior to 2002, automobile and watercraft titles had to be issued by the county of residence.  This requirement is no longer in place and title work can now be issued in your county of choice.  Putnam County welcomes your business.  Your title work benefits our county and we make every effort to accurately process your titles in a prompt and friendly manner.  If you have any questions about title work not addressed on our web site, we encourage you to phone our office so you will have necessary information when coming to our office.

Notary Publics: Before notarizing any assignment on titles, the seller is required by law to enter all information, or a notary can complete information prior to notarizing.  Please note that if the vehicle was jointly owned, both individuals must sign before the notary.

When You Buy a Car: Never make any alterations or erasures on a Certificate of Title.  If this is done the title becomes null and void and a replacement title will have to be obtained.  Do not fill in any part of the assignment or application on the reverse side of the title unless it is done in the presence of a Notary Public or other duly authorized officer with power to administer oaths.  All signatures must be notarized.  If two names appear on the title, both signatures are required for all transactions in the State of Ohio,.  It is required that a picture I.D. or Ohio Driver’s License be presented at the time of transfer.  Your title must be issued within 30 days after the assignment or you will be subject to a $5.00 late fee.  Always check the serial number on your Certificate of Title.

When a title is issued in two names, WROS (With Right of Survivorship), can be added to the title.

When a title is issued, you may designate a beneficiary or beneficiaries.  (Transfer on Death)  Full legal name, social security number, address and date of birth is required for beneficiary.

When You Sell a Car:  Do not execute the assignment on the reverse side of the title until a sale has been completed.  Seller is required by law to enter all information, including the true selling price, odometer reading and purchaser’s name.  Initials or “nicknames” are not acceptable.  Use full legal name.

Duplicate Titles: If original title is lost, stolen or destroyed, you may obtain a Duplicate title.  If after issuance of duplicate, the original is recovered, the original must be returned to the Title Office for cancellation.  Bring your registration, or year, make and serial number in when applying.

Trailers: A Title is not required on any utility trailer weighing less than 4,000 pounds. To obtain license plates, get a weight card from a license bureau and have it weighed.

Motor Homes-Travel Trailer Truck Camper: All are required to be titled.  To convert a van to a motor home or after installation of a camping unit on your pick-up truck, you must record the “body change” with your Clerk of Courts.  Both titles for the truck camper and pick-up truck must be presented to issue a new title.

Manufactured Homes: The owner of a mfg. home is required to obtain a title.  All mfg. home titles must have a “tax approval stamp” from the County Auditor’s office and County Treasurer’s office where the mfg. home is located before transferring.  The transfer is done in the same manner as a motor home title.  They are issued in the county of residence of the owner.

Out Of State Vehicle Inspection: Any vehicle transferred from out of state to an Ohio title must be physically inspected by an authorized car dealer in Ohio or any Deputy Registrar.  The customer pays a fee to the inspector and a $1.50 fee at the title office.

Power of Attorney: No Person can sign for you without a notarized Power of Attorney Form.  This POA form is attached to our files and becomes a part thereof.

Minor Consent Form:  Minor consent form is required to be signed by a parent or legal guardian for any one under 18 years of age titling a vehicle in their name.  These are completed in the title office only.  Identification is required.

Sales Tax: Section 4505.06 ORC required Ohio sales tax be paid to the Clerk of Courts when an application for a title is presented.  A Use Tax must be paid by a resident of Ohio when purchasing a vehicle outside the State of Ohio.  If tax has been paid out of state at the time of purchase, the customer must furnish proof of payment with a bill of sale/receipt.  If there is a difference in the tax, only that amount is due and collected.

Junk Vehicles: When vehicle is dismantled, destroyed or the character changed so that it is no longer a complete vehicle, owner must surrender title to the Clerk of Courts for cancellation.

Salvage Title: To convert a salvage title to a regular title, an inspection must be made by the State Patrol.  The application for the inspection may be obtained from the State Patrol station or license bureau.  (Fees are charged by these agencies)

Memorandum Certificate: A memorandum title (white copy) is used only to purchase license plates.  You cannot transfer ownership of an automobile with a memorandum title.

Surviving Spouse:  A surviving spouse may obtain up to two automobiles with an appraised value of up to $40,000.00.  Also, one boat and one outboard motor can be transferred upon the death of a spouse.  Titles need not be probated,.

Change of Name: If your name is changed through marriage or court proceedings, the name of your title cannot be changed.   There is no authority in the law to issue a new title in your name for the same vehicle.

Social Security Number: Social Security numbers or EIN numbers are required on all transactions pursuant to section 4505.07 ORC.


Watercraft Title Information

Buying a Boat or Motor: A title is required on all boats 14 feet or longer and all outboard motors 10 HP or more.  Jet skis and waverunners also require a title.  The seller is required to provide the buyer of jet skis and waverunners with a title assigned to the buyer.  Canoes and Kayaks are exempt.  Before purchasing a boat, motor, jet ski or waverunner, be sure the seller has the Certificate of Title.

Transfer of Title: Your titles will be issued to you by the Clerk of Courts in the County of your residence regardless of the location of the boat.  Do not accept title from the seller until his/her signature is notarized and assignment is completed.

Selling a Boat or Motor: The seller should not execute the assignment on the reverse side of the title until a sale has been made.  Buyer’s full name and address must be inserted before seller’s signature is notarized.  If the title is in two names, the notary must witness both signatures.  If boat or motor was purchased it prior to October 10, 1963, Clerk of Courts may issue a title based on registration and sworn statement.  If a jet ski or waverunner was purchased before a title was required, a seller must obtain a title to assign to the buyer.

Serial Numbers:  Effective July 4, 2002, all watercraft are required to have a 12-character hull I.D. number before a title can be issued.  If there is no manufacturer’s serial number, or if the manufacturer’s serial number has been removed, a serial number must be affixed to the boat or motor before a title can be issued.  Application for serial number is made to the division of Watercraft.  Forms may be obtained at the Clerk of Court’s office.



Title $15.00
Water Craft Titles $15.00
Salvage Titles $4.00
Duplicate Titles $15.00
Memo Titles $5.00
Late Fee (30 Days) $5.00
Archive Fee (mobile Homes) $5.00
Notary Fee (affidavit) $1.00
Title Search $5.00
Copies $ .25
Certified Copy $1.00